Dangers of Rawhide

Rawhide chews present dangers to dogs and to the people who care for them, so you should never give rawhide to a dog - even if you have used them before without a problem.

Here are four important reasons why:

  1. Rawhide chews can carry bacteria like Salmonella and E. coli that can make humans and dogs very sick. It can be deadly in some cases.
  2. Rawhide chews get very slimy and can easily slide into a dog's throat and choke him. They are the most common cause of choking in dogs.
  3. If a dog is choking on a rawhide, and you reach into his mouth to dislodge the chew, you may get bitten. And you can also shove the chew deeper into the throat, making matters worse.
  4. If the dog swallows a large piece (which is a pretty small piece in a small dog), it can get caught in his esophagus or other part of his digestive tract. Depending on where the blockage occurs, it may require surgery to have it removed. Unresolved blockages can lead to death.

Dogs have a need to chew, and chewing provides physical and emotional benefits to your dog.  But there are safer alternatives, which we will discuss in our next post.

Never give a rawhide chew to any dog.

About Bewaggle: 

Bewaggle is a brand new KIND of pet sitting company, unique in the entire nation! Bringing a new level of professionalism, training, and security to the pet sitting industry, we offer pet sitting, dog walking, puppy training, basic obedience training, and more. We are bonded and insured, background checked, professionally trained and supervised. And each sitter is backed up by a team of qualified professionals. All our sitters are trained in Pet First Aid, Pet CPR, Professional Standards, Emergency Response and much more.

Be wise... Bewaggle!

Comments are closed.